Mon – Fri: 8am – 5pm
 Sat - Sun: Closed
Drug Testing

Drug tests are conducting for the following reasons:

  1. At a Pre-employment Medical Assessment to ascertain their current health/drug status
  2. Following an incident/accident “Post incident”
  3. to confirm to rule out drugs/alcohol as causation
  4. On suspicious behavior “Reasonable Cause” to confirm or rule out drugs/alcohol as an issue
  5. Random testing

Why people come to us

Great service
Our friendly, professional team will go out of their way to make your medical as simple as possible
Great access
Free parking at our central Thorndon location makes getting to your medical a breeze
Great prices
Take a look at our prices below to see the great value in getting your medical through us.


15 years and older
Limited Medical
which covers
Medical Examinations
Routine Blood & Urine Tests
Digital Photos
eMedical Submissions
15 years and older
General Medical
which covers
Medical Examinations
Routine Blood & Urine Tests
Digital Photos
eMedical Submissions
There is an additional charge of $105 if you are aged 70+, due to the additional tests required
Under 15
General or Limited Medical
which covers
Medical Examinations
Routine Urine Test
Digital Photos
eMedical Submissions
You may also need a chest x-ray. See below for more information about this.
Please note that we are not immigration advisors and are not part of Immigration New Zealand. We know the basic rules around immigration, however it is important that you communicate with Immigration New Zealand if you are uncertain about any part of your application.
Call us on 04 920 8850 to book your immigration medical

Got a question?

Click on a section to find answers to common questions

What do I need to bring to the appointment?

You will need to bring:

  • Your current passport for photo identification. This must be the original version, not a copy.
  • Prescription eyewear if you use them (glasses or contact lenses)
  • Medication list and/or medical specialist reports

Need a interpreter?

If you cannot speak English then you will need a interpreter; this cannot be a family member or relative. We can arrange for a interpreter if required, simply let us know when booking the appointment.

There is an additional cost for a interpreter

How quickly can I get an immigration medical done?

We can normally get you in within 2-3 days of getting touch with us. It then takes approximately 2 working days to receive and review all of the results

What happens during an immigration medical?

During the medical you’ll have two consultations, one with a nurse and the second with a doctor. We endeavour to make these appointments one after the other, but depending on your urgency this may not always be possible.

What happens during the nurse consultation?

The nurse consultation will take approximately 45 minutes. During this time we’ll complete a questionnaire about your health, as well as take measurements of you height and weight. We then take a digital photo which is uploaded to your eMedical case file.

We’ll also do the following tests:

  • Eye test
    Please bring you glasses or contacts with you if you wear them
  • Urine Test
    This is required from all applicants 5 years of age and older.

    If you are female, please note that this test cannot be taken during your period and 4-6 days after. To save you the inconvenience of having to repeat the test, please book your appointment with this in mind.

    We recommend drinking a glass of water half an hour before your appointment to prepare for the urine test.
  • Blood test
    This is required if you are 15 years or older.

What happens during the doctor consultation?

Your consultation with a doctor will take approximately 15 minute appointments. This is a full physical examination, during which time you will need to remove all clothing except your underwear. The examination will involve contact with the doctor.

If you’re a woman over the age of 45 you will also require a breast examination, unless you've had one of the following within the last six months and can provide the results of the exam:

  • Breast examination
  • Mammogram
  • Ultrasound
  • MRI

You comfort is important to us so let us know if you prefer either a male or female doctor.

Which medical certificate do I need?

You must use the General Medical if one of the following applies to you:

  • You are applying for a temporary entry class visa for New Zealand and you intend to stay longer than 12 months
  • You are applying for residence, unless you are a person who must use the Limited Medical Certificate (INZ 1201).

You must use the Limited Medical if one of the following applies to you:

  • You are the partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident and you meet the requirements of the Partnership Category, which includes having lived together with your partner for 12 months or more in a partnership which is genuine and stable (your dependent children (if any) should also use this certificate)*
  • You are the dependent child of a New Zealand citizen or resident*
  • You are a person (or the partner or dependent child of a person) who has been recognised as having refugee or protection status in New Zealand
  • You are a UNHCR mandated refugee who has been selected under New Zealand’s refugee quota programme
  • You are applying for a resident visa under the Refugee Quota Family Reunification Category.

If you are applying for a visa as the partner or dependent child of a New Zealand citizen or resident and you were not included in, or were withdrawn from the earlier residence application made by your partner or parent then you must use the general certificate.

Do I need a chest X-ray?

You'll need a chest X-ray if:

  • You are applying for residency
  • You are applying for a temporary entry class visa for New Zealand and you intend to stay longer than 12 months

If you're applying for a temporary visa and you intend to stay between 6-12 months

Immigration New Zealand maintain a list of countries, areas and territories with a low insidence of tuberculosis (TB).

If you are from, or have visited, a country, area or territory which is not on this list then you'll need a chest X-ray.
Health Requirements (INZ 1121) guide has more details and includes the full list.

If you previously had a chest X-ray you may not be required to get a new one. If this applies to you, contact Immigration New Zealand to confirm whether or not you need a new X-ray.Children under the age of 11 and pregnant women are not required to have a chest X-ray, unless it is specifically requested by Immigration New Zealand.

How do I get a chest x-ray?

You need to book a separate chest X-ray appointment as we don't complete X-rays at the medical centre.

Your options for getting a chest X-ray are:

  • $150 at any Pacific Radiology branch (978-5500).
    Pacific Radiology in Thorndon is a 5 minute walk from the medical centre.
  • $120 at Horizon Radiology (801-8527).
    Horizon Radiology is located at Level 1, 61-63 Taranaki Street, Wellington

Mon – Friday: 8am – 5pm

04 473 5181